Making a Way
Given the recent global health concerns related to COVID-19, Healing Hearts Therapeutic Services has implemented telemental health services. You can now receive your therapy services virtually. We are dedicated to practicing social distancing to prevent the spread of COVID-19 so that all of our clients and staff can be safe and healthy. These telemental health services that we have implemented are easy to use and ensure that you can continue getting the help that you need without leaving your home! We are also still providing Play Therapy services to our child clients through Tele-PLAY Therapy. We have been notified that some health insurance companies are being proactive and allowing telemental health services to be provided, even if your plan does not normally allow this. Please check with your insurance plan to make sure or call us if you need help navigating insurance!
In the meantime, we are diligently cleaning and sanitizing our work areas which include our session rooms and waiting areas – doing our very best to keep both staff and clients as healthy as possible. Having said that, we understand that some clients may have serious underlying health issues that would make it risky to come into the office, so now we can come to you virtually- right through your laptop, desktop computer or mobile device.
Some Things To Remember…
A couple of things to remember when doing virtual visits:
- Make sure that you have a dedicated space that is private and confidential so that you feel comfortable enough to engage in the therapy process and rest assured knowing that our therapists are doing the same!
- Understand that when doing virtual visits, you must take into consideration that there may be technical challenges that occur so we ask that you have patience and keep in mind that we are working hard to make sure that everything is running in tip-top shape but some things, like technology, are out of our control.
- If you have any technical issues with using our platform, please speak with your therapist immediately.
- We look forward to providing you with the best possible virtual therapy experience!
Below is a link to our telemental health informed consent form for you to review. Let us know if you have any questions or concerns.
- A laptop or desktop computer is ideal — preferably the biggest screen size that you have available to you (that you can also have in a comfortable, confidential space.) If you’re using a tablet or phone, please prop up the device so that it is stable.
- Whatever device you’re using, please make sure that the camera is about level with your eyes. It may require propping up your device or monitor on other items, such as books.
- Headphones or earbuds can help reduce or eliminate echo (in addition to ensuring that your therapist’s voice is only audible to you.)
- Please make sure that you’re well-lit and don’t have a bright light source directly behind you.
- Be sure to move your computer as close as you can to your WiFi router (the box that makes the WiFi.) Or better yet — plug your computer into the router with a cable!
- After that, you’ll want to close out of — quit, don’t just minimize — any programs you don’t need which use your Internet connection.
- Examples: file synchronization services (Google Drive, Dropbox, etc.,) cloud backup services, and Skype.
- Close any browser windows or tabs not needed.
Creating Confidential Space
- Things to consider:
● Is the space private?
● Can you lock the door?
○ If not, will others who have access to the space respect your request for privacy and not enter the room?
■ Can you/have you had a conversation with them?
■ Were they receptive?
● Can others outside the room hear you talking?
○ If so, can you create white noise with a fan or other form of background noise? (Preferably placed outside the doorway of the room you’re in)
○ Consider using headphones or earbuds so that your provider’s voice is kept private and is only hearable by you
If you have a hard time finding confidential space, here are some examples that others have used. These are not ideal but should be considered secondary choices if an ideal setup is not available. If you use any of these, please make sure that the space is comfortable for you. Being comfortable is also highly important.
● Laundry Room
- Actual last resort: your car parked in a safe, private spot. (We want to emphasize that private does not mean secluded. Please do make sure you are in a safe location.)